November 20, 2020
7:45 AM - 8:15 AM | Registration and Welcome Breakfast
8:15 AM - 8:25 AM | Opening Remarks from the Chair
8:25 AM - 9:10 AM | Keynote Address
9:10 AM - 10:10 AM | All Star Panel Session: The Top 5 Investment Trends
A panel of experts will provide their perspectives on what they feel are the top 5 investment trends that will dominate fixed income markets in the next twelve months, and how can to capitalize on these now to maximize returns.
10:10 AM - 10:40 AM | Networking Refreshment Break
10:40 AM - 11:00 AM | Derivatives for Performance and Diversification: Focus on Fixed Income Premia
The use of derivatives in investment strategies adds diversification in terms across several axes (instruments, asset classes and markets). Derivatives strategies can also be a source of reliable carry over time. This session focuses on how derivatives-based fixed income strategies can replicate the risk-return profile of bonds with limited duration risk – a challenge that is especially important in today’s context of low interest rates. Understand the theory and the practice of fixed income premia investing with concrete examples across a range of asset classes.
Luc Dumontier, Partner & Head of Factor Investing, LFIS
11:00 AM - 11:45 AM | Panel Session: Global Opportunities
There is a lot of merit in tapping fixed-income opportunities outside of Canada. Although Canadian pension funds have historically invested close to home, fund managers are now casting a wider net in a global fixed-income strategy. There is a strong case to be made for going global. It is important to diversify interest rate and economic risk when business cycles, national growth rate, yield curves and monetary policies around the world are swirling in different directions. In this session, you will get a clear view of the opportunities to improve your ROI:
- What considerations do plan sponsors need to take into account when assessing fixed income outside of Canada? What is the medium to long-term outlook for mature economies and how can you use this to your benefit?
- A global assessment of opportunities by geography and sector
- Linking demographic shifts and their implication for asset prices and opportunities outside of Canada
11:45 AM - 12:30 PM | Keynote: Fireside Chat
12:30 PM - 1:30 PM | Networking Luncheon
1:30 PM - 1:50 PM | Spotlight on Non-Correlated Asset Strategies
1:50 PM - 2:30 PM | Panel Session: Corporate Credit and Private Debt
There has been a rapid growth of private credit markets since the turn of the century. The volume has grown at virtually 20% a year. This reflects the advantages of this asset class to help enhance yield and diversify exposure. This panel of leading experts will discuss the most important considerations for institutional investors who plan to increase their commitments to corporate investments. You will come away understanding:
- What yield premiums are available in the corporate field today and how does this contrast with the long-term average premium.
- Where are the opportunities in the private debt space for institutional investors from 2019 to 2020?
- How can investors assess the compensation they receive for illiquidity and credit risks?
- What tools do successful bond managers employ to achieve superior results?
- The most effective strategies for obtaining results in this sector
- Theresa Shutt, Chief Investment Officer - Fiera Private Debt
Greg Racz, President - MGG Investment Group
2:30 PM - 3:15 PM | Panel Session: Alternative Strategies
As the definition of fixed-income continues to broaden, learn about the latest effective alternative to deliver diversification and income for your portfolio. In this whistle-stop tour of the opportunities available for investors across the fixed income markets, find out about:
- How to benefit from incorporating a much wider range of strategies and assets into your portfolio
- How to position your portfolios to keep yield while also keeping risk well-managed
- An exploration of the creative uses of derivatives and swaps
- Strategies to drive desired outcomes
- What other ways you can get credit exposure with more liquid products?
Charles Quintal, President, Retirement Committee, Assembly of Quebec Catholic Bishops
3:15 PM - 3:30 PM | Networking Refreshment Break
3:30 PM - 4:15 PM | Panel Session: Fixed Income ETFs
The ETF industry is having a phenomenal run. With the need to diversify and hedge fixed-income portfolios, more and more buy-side heads are turning to thises instruments as a means of generating returns. In this session, you will hear leading ETF experts who will help you discover:
- Why are more institutional firms adding ETFs to their portfolio and how do they manage them?
- The business case for trading fixed-income ETFs
- How can ETFs unlock new investment opportunities?
- ETF pros and cons - what are the reservations when trading ETFs and how can they be overcome?
4:15 PM - 5:00 PM | Panel Session: ESG and Sustainable Bonds
While equities have received the lion's share of ESG engagement form investors, big changes are coming. Fixed income will soon be at the core of sustainable investment from billions of dollars each year to the trillions needed to safeguard a company's creditworthiness over the long term. In this session, hear what the experts say about the big changes that are unfolding.
You will discover:
- How to effectively integrate ESG analysis into the investment process from top-down (macro) and bottom-up (credit research) perspectives
- How to identify key ESG themes, combining valuation and ESG analysis and identifying best-in-class issuers
- How ESG integration can generate alpha for fixed income