June 5th, 2019
8:00 AM - 8:30 AM | Registration & Networking Breakfast
8:30 AM - 8:45 AM | Opening Remarks from the Chair
8:45 AM - 9:30 AM | Brace for Impact: Navigating Geopolitical Volatility and Interest Rate Uncertainty
Trump's administration and Brexit. They are just the top of the iceberg. Political risk has emerged as a major and very critical factor in every global investment decision. It has created turbulence in many countries and if investors are not familiar with the risks they face, they will impact the results of their returns -- sometimes dramatically! In this fascinating presentation, hear a leading fixed income investment expert on geopolitical risk analyze the hot spots around the world and how they can affect your fixed-income investments. Find out how you can benefit from the right strategy and the right knowledge. This is a not-to-be-missed session!
9:30 AM - 10:30 AM | All Star Panel: The Top 5 Investment Trends That Will Dominate Fixed Income in 2019 to 2020
Join some of Canada's top fixed-income leaders on both the buy and sell side as they discuss the 5 top investment trends that will dominate fixed income in the year ahead. Discover:
- How can you best respond to a rising rate environment to come out on top?
- Diversification and risk reduction - what are the drivers of a successful portfolio over the next 12 months and how can you position your portfolio?
- Risk vs. reward - where are the opportunities for fixed-income investing in 2019 and what are the factors that drive them?
- How can you apply "out-of-the-box" thinking to drive your fund business and generate returns for your investors in an increasingly complex environment?
- Where are the most lucrative return and related investment opportunities that lie within the fixed income spectrum?
- What will be the drivers of a successful portfolio over the next 12 months and how should you best position it?
10:30 AM - 11:00 AM | Networking Refreshment Break
11:00 AM - 11:45 AM | An Unconstrained Approach to Navigating Global Fixed Income Opportunities Outside of Canada in 2019 to 2020
There is a lot of merit in tapping fixed-income opportunities outside of Canada. Although Canadian pension funds have historically invested close to home, fund managers are now casting a wider net in a global fixed-income strategy. There is a strong case to be made for going global. It is important to diversify interest rate and economic risk when business cycles, national growth rate, yield curves and monetary policies around the world are swirling in different directions. In this session, you will get a clear view of the opportunities to improve your ROI: Discover:
- What considerations do plan sponsors need to take into account when assessing fixed income outside of Canada? What is the medium to long-term outlook for mature economies and how can you use this to your benefit?
- A global valuation by geography and sector
- Who are the rising stars - and the risky best - in emerging markets?
- How to hedge against currency and FX volatility
11:45 AM - 12:30 PM | Keynote: A Fireside Chat with the Deputy Governor of the Bank of Canada
12:30 PM - 1:45 PM | Networking Luncheon
1:45 PM - 2:30 PM | How to Effectively Exploit the Newest Opportunities in Corporate Credit and Private Debt in 2019 to 2020
There has been a rapid growth of private credit markets since the turn of the century. The volume has grown at virtually 20% a year. This reflects the advantages of this asset class to help enhance yield and diversify exposure. This panel of leading experts will discuss the most important considerations for institutional investors who plan to increase their commitments to corporate investments. You will come away understanding:
- What yield premiums are available in the corporate field today and how does this contrast with the long-term average premium.
- Where are the opportunities in the private debt space for institutional investors from 2019 to 2020?
- How can investors assess the compensation they receive for illiquidity and credit risks?
- What tools do successful bond managers employ to achieve superior results?
- Harnessing opportunities in emerging market debt
- The most effective strategies for obtaining results in this sector
2:30 PM - 3:15 PM | Alternative Strategies: The Secret to Effectively Achieve Maximized Fixed Income Returns in 2019 to 2020
As the definition of fixed-income continues to broaden, learn about the latest effective alternative to deliver diversification and income for your portfolio. In this whistle-stop tour of the opportunities available for investors across the fixed income markets, find out about:
- How to benefit from incorporating a much wider range of strategies and assets into your portfolio
- How to position your portfolios to keep yield while also keeping risk well-managed
- An exploration of the creative uses of derivatives and swaps
- Strategies to drive desired outcomes
- What other ways you can get credit exposure with more liquid products?
3:15 PM - 3:30 PM | Networking Refreshment Break
3:30 PM - 4:15 PM | The New Risks and Opportunities with Fixed Income ETFs in 2019 to 2020
The ETF industry is having a phenomenal run. With the need to diversify and hedge fixed-income portfolios, more and more buy-side heads are turning to thises instruments as a means of generating returns. In this session, you will hear leading ETF experts who will help you discover:
- Understanding the product in 2019 - why are more institutional firms adding ETFs to their portfolio and how do they manage them?
- The business case for trading fixed-income ETFs
- How can ETFs unlock new investment opportunities?
- ETF pros and cons - what are the reservations when trading ETFs and how can thye be overcome?
4:15 PM - 5:00 PM | The Green Boom: How ESG Integration can Generate Alpha for Fixed Income
While equities have received the lion's share of ESG engagement from investors, big changes are coming. Fixed income will soon be at the core of sustainable investment from billions of dollars each year to the trillions needed to safeguard a company's creditworthiness over the long-term. In this session, hear what the experts say about the big changes that are unfolding. You will discover:
- How to effectively integrate ESG analysis into the investment process from top-down (macro) and bottom-up (credit research) perspectives
- How to build portfolios with forward-looking, industry-specific and weighted ESG criteria
- The growth of green bonds - experience from the City of Toronto
- The success of Canadian pension investors into fixed-income ESG
- How to identify key ESG themes, combining valuation and ESG analysis and identifying best-in-class issuers
- How ESG integration can generate alpha for fixed-income