Wednesday, November 20, 2019
7:30 AM - 8:15 AM | Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:15 AM - 8:30 AM | Opening Remarks from the Chair
8:30 AM - 9:30 AM | LP-GP Power Panel: Seeking Alpha in Private Markets in 2020 and Beyond
9:30 AM - 10:15 AM | Investing in Asian Private Credit and Debt: Is Now a Good Time?
• What strategies is the money going into? And, where is it coming from? How does it compare on a global basis?
• What are the challenges for investing with Asian based managers, such as rule of law, enforcement, currency and how are Asian credit managers addressing these issues?
• Why an economic downturn will create opportunities for higher returns. In what strategies?
• Why the perceived risks of investing in some strategies are higher than the actual risks resulting in excellent returns.
• Understand why the leading Canadian public and corporate pension plans are actively looking to grow their Asian private credit allocations.
10:15 AM - 10:45 AM | Networking Refreshment Break
10:45 AM - 11:30 AM | How Canadian Entrepreneurs Can Now Gain Access to Capital
11:30 AM - 12:15 PM | Building on the Infrastructure Boom
12:15 PM - 1:15 PM | Networking Luncheon
1:15 PM - 2:00 PM | The Latest Trends in Secondaries: Looking at 2020
2:00 PM - 2:45 PM | A FIRESIDE CHAT WITH CDPQ: Developing New Strategies in a Highly Competitive Market
With increasingly fierce competition for assets and faced with volatile markets, investors are forced to find new ways to distinguish themselves and perform. In recent years, CDPQ has ramped up investments in less-liquid portfolios, including in private equity. But a related class has also been at the centre of CDPQ’s strategy: private debt – a sector that should reach $1 trillion globally by next year.
2:45 PM - 3:15 PM | Networking Refreshment Break
3:15 PM - 4:15 PM | Breakout Session - GP Spotlight: Co-Investments: Coveted Allocations and Changing Terms
In this exclusive session amongst private equity fund managers, learn their thoughts and ideas regarding the "hot" and developing co-investment market:
- How managers are allocating co-investment opportunities;
- The economic and other terms on which co-investments are being offered; and
- The changing relationship between co-investment documentation and fund terms.
3:15 PM - 4:15 PM | Breakout Session - LP Spotlight: How to Construct a Private Equity Portfolio in a Costly Investment Environment
4:15 PM - 4:30 PM | Break
4:30 PM - 5:15 PM | The Future of Energy
5:15 PM - 5:30 PM | Closing Remarks by the Chair
David Brown, Partner, Weirfoulds LLP